Bernard Badin is Head of ABB Rail y bus sector – Europe region
E4SM: What are ABB’s main markets for energy solutions for smart mobility?
BB: You probably already know ABB, worldwide leader for energy and industrial automation solutions with pioneering technology for digital industries. Transport, electrical mobility and associated infrastructures is one of our 3rd main focused markets. Our strategic vision is to promote innovative technologies to solve clean motilities challenges in all fields, without consuming the earth:
- Rail: Traction chains for Rolling stocks, AC/DC electrification and energy efficiency solutions.
- EVCI: DC fast chargers. ABB is brand sponsor for ABB-Formula E Championship
- Urban transport: Overnight chargers, opportunity chargers for electrical buses and “smart depot” concept. ABB is actually executing in Nantes the 1st BRT line with double-articulated buses full electric, thanks to flash charging solution TOSA during bus-stops.
- Marine and waterborne: ABB is participating to several projects of full electric propulsion on ferries, but also optimizing maritime routes for better energy efficiency or promoting solutions for autonomous ships
- Electric trucks and Heavy electric vehicles: ABB partnering with several OEMs and has already set-up various etrucks equipment’s, special full-électric mines vehicles
- Airborne: ABB is participating to this pioneering application, by buying one of the technological partner of the famous solar Impulse project
E4SM: Can you present us some key projects?
BB: We are contributing to number of innovative projects in several fields and it’s therefore quite difficult for me to select only few of them. We would like to get you on the 2 workshops we will participate in during E4SM and showcase some possible applications:
- Smart freight: We will present our vision of etrucks fleets electrification, with some already executed projects.
- Smart port: We will unveiled some projects of ships equipped with 100% electric propulsion, shore to ship equipment’s with automatic connexions, or digitals solutions for autonomous ships.
E4SM: What do you expect from the 2nd edition of the Energy for Smart Mobility Forum, 14 and 15 March 2019?
BB: We were already partnership of the 1st edition of “Energy for Smart mobility”. We are fully convinced about the interest to share our visions, experience and expertise to speed-up the mutation in favor of all clean nobilities. Therefore, We wish that this next edition will confirm that we are already in generalization phase of deployments on large scale, and that the history is far to be fully written thanks to digital technologies or emergence of Hydrogen, 2 fields already in the heart of ABB focus.